Thursday, June 17, 2010

USA v. England Match Recap

So like I said before, I had a great recap of the USA v. England match but it was lost. So I am going to try and recreate it but it will not be as good.

I hope that everyone saw the USA v. England match and at least one person recorded the match so that Rachel and I can watch it later. By now y’all probably have formulated your own opinion of the match and probably do not care what I think but in the true spirit of blogging I am going to post it anyway.

First of all I was very surprise at how nervous the USA was at the start of play. In our most recent friendly matches and our performance in the Confederation’s Cup I felt that we had built up a lot of confidence. I know that this was a big stage that the USA players and fans were not used to, the English fans were well prepared with many banners and flags and the players were ready to capitalize on any missed defensive opportunity. I solely attribute the English goal to this nervousness rather than being ill-prepared or playing a better team.

On the other hand, what do I say about Greene, the English keeper? The biggest fear for the English fans going into this match was Greene. If the two goals from this match were direct exploits of each teams weakest link, which I believe they were, USA’s weakest link being our lack of experience on big stages and England’s being one decent defender in John Terry and the worst keeper in all of the World Cup finals, I would be worried if I were English. I do not think we will see any more “nervous” play from the USA.

Man of the Match. No doubt in any one’s mind that Tim Howard was Man of the Match. Besides his multiple, I think 6 unbelievable saves that he made and the rib injury that he back from, I saw something else that I would like to state for the record. In the first few minutes of play, as I have stated, the USA was nervous and did not push up and pressure England when they were in the box. Right after the goal Tim, not yelling but in a very direct voice, told something to the players that were standing right around him. What he said I do not know but I do know that it was direct and with authority. It was also quite prolonged. Sometimes you see keepers yelling a ridiculous amount at their defenders and usually these are the average to below average keepers. You never see Cech or Vander Sar exploding into a rampage. I think because Tim Howard kept his cool he shows the characteristics of continuing to develop into a great keeper.

Now for some real analysis.

Defense. The first 10 minutes were inexcusable. The last 80 were at times rock solid and at other times average. Demeritt and Onyewu did a fabulous job on Peter “I look like a” Crotch (Crouch) and anyone else who came up the middle. Bocanegra was non-existent and needs to step up as a captain more.

Midfield. Also had an inexcusable first 10 minutes. The middle 55 minutes were excellent. Bradley and ….can think of his name right now but another midfielder….. did a great job on Frodo Baggins (Wayne Rooney). Donovan did not have the break out match like I thought he would. I would like to see him be more visible and threatening next match. Clark had quite a few poor passes and I felt like he played the poorest.

Forwards. What if Jozi would have put that in the back of the net? What a great drive by Altidore!!! I feel that the forwards were very strong. I like starting Findley. I think he is doing well but I feel that Buddle could have come on earlier. I think he came on in the 75th minute and Findley stopped being effective long before that. Buddle or Gomes should come in the 65th minute next match. Just my opinion Bob!!

Thanks for reading. Cheers.

No comments: